Red Sea governor says air conditioning and ventilation systems being investigated
The governor in charge of the Egyptian resort town where two British holidaymakers lived suddenly last week has confirmed there was an exceptional odor in their hotel room, adding to fears there may have been something in the ventilation system that contributed to their deaths.
Maj Gen Ahmed Abdullah, the Red Sea governor, told reporters in Hurghada” there was a strange odour in the office” where John Cooper, 69, and his wife Susan, 63 precipitated ill last Monday evening. He said the apartment at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel had been sealed off while a commission of specialists investigated the ventilation and air conditioning systems.
The Coopers’ daughter, Kelly Omerod, who was with her mothers on holiday, said on Sunday she belief” there was something in the room that’s actually killed them” and that they may have inhaled something that poisoned them.
Several hotel guests “whos” staying at the used at the same time as the Coopers reported gastric questions and complains about being provided raw chicken and fish, and imbibes in grimy glass. The Coopers, however, has not been able to tolerated upset stomachs, Ormerod said.
At least one other patron reported lung difficulties. Alison Cope from Birmingham said a member of her gathering had suffered headaches, expressing hurdles and spray on the lung, which a British doctor said was consistent with legionnaires’ disease.
Abdullah said 23 clients had gone to the hotel’s sickbay in the last week, many of them digesting stomach cramps and wearines that he put down to changes in diet, revelation to the sunbathe and immersing sea water.
The Egyptian authorities have been keen to present the Coopers’ extinctions as routine and to stress the safety and security of the Red Sea resort. The country’s tourism industry has suffered a series of setbacks from terrorism, in particular the dangling of flights from Russia in 2015 following the suspected bombing over the Sinai peninsula of an airliner bind for Saint petersburg in which all 224 people onboard were killed.
The Red Sea governorate initially described the Coopers’ deaths in a press release as” regular death of an English old man and his wife in Hurghada city “.
It said John Cooper, who perished in his hotel office, suffers from” a sudden default in the heart muscle and respiratory flop “. Susan Cooper died six hours later at El Asil hospital. She fainted, with the governorate putting the cause of death as” a put of blood dissemination and respiratory capacities with no criminal distrusts “.
Thomas Cook, which had 300 clients at the inn, said it was still waiting for the results of tests it had carried out on food, irrigate and ventilation systems in the hotel, which could take more than a week to come back. Its investigators have not, however, been able to access the Coopers’ room.
About half of the company’s UK customers staying at the hotel have returned home, with the rest making rooms in other Red Sea resort hotels.